A widespread GO-NGO coordination on HPN issues becomes visible in the BCCWG meeting
Visibility of GO-NGO coordination in the Health, Population and Nutrition (HPN) field became very widespread as the Behavior Change Communication Working Group (BCCWG) met its 33rd meeting held on March 31, 2022 in the IPHN conference room.
This meeting was chaired by Mr. Sayed Mujibul Huq, Additional Secretary, Health Service Division, MoHFW while Mr. Nitish Chandra Sarker, Additional Secretary, Medical Education & Family Welfare Division, MoHFW was present as co-chair. Mr. Jashim Udin Khan, Deputy Secretary (PH), Health Service Division, MoHFW also attended the meeting. Attending unit heads in this meeting were Dr. S M Mustafizur Rahman, LD-NNS; Prof. Dr. Nasiruddin Ahmed, Director-IPHN; and Dr. Mizanur Rahman Arif, LD-LHE&P.
A number of 39 participants represents the GoB HPN units and the NGOs working in the HPN fields participated the meeting. The participating GoB units from DGHS include; LHEP, BHE, PHC, IPHN, MNCAH, NTP and NNS while the DGFP units include; FSD and IEM. NGO participations were made from Sukhi Jibon, Breastfeeding Foundation, Caritas, BBC Media Action, Eminence, Ujjiban, Sisimpur, SMC, WASUP, Nutritional International and Aporajeyo-Bangladesh.
In course of reviewing the minutes of the last meeting Mr. Sayed Mujibul Huq pointed out about the progress of the production of SHPNE package book followed by the ToT for the HQ and field level officials. Mr. Jashim Udin Khan also pointed out an issue of the activation of District and Upazila level SBCC Coordination Committees. They have mentioned about the importance of the implementation of SHPNE package and activation of SBCC Coordination Committees in a planned basis.
As usual part of the meeting an organization wise presentation, in order to highlight replicable interventions and avoid duplication, were made by six organizations. The key activities highlighted by the organizations were:
- Greetings and orientation meeting with Newly Wed Couple have been initiated
- Male engagement for FP decision making has been re-initiated
- Capacity building for the DGFP call center’s call receivers conducted.
Bureau of Health Education (BHE)
- Training on communicable disease and non- communicable Disease conducted in 35 districts
- BCC monitoring using SAMCS tool in selected upazila is continuing
- Service delivery package on communicable disease and non- communicable disease have been outsourced.
- Improvement of Maternal and Child Nutrition through formation of Mother Support Group (MSG)
-Promotion of home-based complementary feeding through courtyard meetings
-Online video call counseling on breastfeeding and complementary feeding.
Directorate General of Family Planning (DGFP)
- eResource training is continuing
- Orientation on School Health Population Education Nutrition Package
- Family Welfare Service & Campaign Week 2021 conducted
- Orientation on Premarital Counseling.
- Demonstrate cooking of nutritious food made in the community
- Community level demonstration of hand washing brings at the practice level
- Community level promotion of the TT vaccination for the adolescent.
National Nutrition Services (NNS)
- 21 live TV talk show broadcast from BTV on different aspects of nutrition
- 22 episodes of live phone-in program broadcast from BTV on different aspects of nutrition
- An updated version of IYCF brochure developed and distributed
- Observation of World Breastfeeding Week were made throughout 64 districts.
In the conclusion Mr. Nitish Chandra Sarker further reiterated the importance of rolling out of the SHPNE package implementation at the school level and urge upon the GoB units and NGOs to expediate the process of production of the package book and arrangements of ToT. He also emphasized on the activation of the SBCC Coordination committees at the district and upazila level.